Saturday, June 30, 2018

#SSoD: Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy: Chapter 8

Saturday Save or Delete (#SSoD) Google Keep Post:
How many of you use Google Keep? I am a big fan, but end up with thousands of links, and nothing to really show for it. I also save things on Facebook, Instagram, my browser bookmarks, and more! These #SSoD posts are going to be a kind of pensieve to gather my thoughts in one place so I can come back to them!

#SSoD Post:
Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy
Chapter 8
http://www.schoollibrarianleadership.com/2018/05/21/maximizing-leadership-chapter-8/

Written by Judi Moreillon
Posted: May 21, 2018 
Created: May 22, 2018
Read: June 20, 2018 

I thought these two sentences were key:
"One common task of school leaders is to ensure continuous improvement in teaching and learning."
"[School librarians] serve as “centralized” instructional partners who work with all school library stakeholders."

As a school librarian, I think it is often overlooked that I not only work with every student in the school, but every staff member, from custodian to head, English teachers to science teachers, and everything in between! Within this work, I learn the quirks of students and staff, remember their favorites, and try hard to find ways to engage them in learning and teaching. I try to remember to advocate for myself and my library program, and over the years, I have learned that yes, I have to be vocal, but I also have to plant the seed of thought into my coworkers, students, and parents heads that the library is important, and here's why. After reading this chapter, I think I am going to rework my "elevator" school library pitch, to incorporate more advocacy on their part, rather than just parroting what I might say: books are great, I love technology, into something like:

Mrs. Thakkar showed my class this book about folktales from the country my grandparents are from. I was able to learn more about them and spend time with them!

In library class we learned about bogus websites, can I tell you more about tree octopuses?

Or did you know that Bill Gates helped Ferdinand Magellan? 😉 

No comments:

Post a Comment