Saturday, July 7, 2018

#SSoD A Heapin’ Helping of Non-Fiction

Saturday Save or Delete (#SSoD) Google Keep Post:
How many of you use Google Keep? I am a big fan, but end up with thousands of links, and nothing to really show for it. I also save things on Facebook, Instagram, my browser bookmarks, and more! These #SSoD posts are going to be a kind of pensieve to gather my thoughts in one place so I can come back to them!

#SSoD Post:
A Heapin’ Helping of Non-Fiction
https://yabooksandmoreblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/30/a-heapin-helping-of-non-fiction/
Written by Naomi Bates
Posted:  May 30, 2018 
Created: May 30, 2018
Read: June 20, 2018 

I am working on building out better lists of what we call "narrative nonfiction", and had saved this link to go back to later. In this article, the author lists 5 nonfiction titles, as she loved nonfiction as a child, and still does.

"But what has changed in the format of non-fiction.  It’s more narrative and comes in hardcopy or graphic novel.  It comes as stand-alones or in series.  It’s also disguised as great fiction too!"

I am not sure if the titles will be appropriate for my 6th - 8th groupers, but I definitely want to read Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner. Personally, I enjoy historical fiction, and this title chronicles 2 women in the 1920s. Flappers and strong women? Sign me up!

I have been thinking about the Nonfiction Family Tree (right) and working on incorporating more read-alouds that center around nonfiction. I'm also playing around with an idea to read different picture book biographies, and traditional biographies. Then to compare and contrast, decide what information is important (and what's not, and why) and then write our own as a class, on the woman who founded our school, but I digress 😜

No comments:

Post a Comment