Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Map Making - Learn the Library!







I shared some pictures on Instagram of my students wandering around the library with their devices. They were working on map making and exploring the library!

I had multiple requests for more details. I use Google Classroom to share assignments, and this is my first assignment of the year! This is for what we call 4th group, (4th grade gifted). In this assignment, I shared 2 files with my 4th group students, and I gave them time to explore and look around the library to make their maps. 

File 1
Google Drawing of our library
Google Classroom Tip: Make a copy for each student of this file
I just put in a few boxes, and let them add words/colors, etc.

File 2
Google Doc of Sections -
Google Classroom Tip: Make this file view only.
We have a lot of sections, so to help them organize it, I made this doc with all 9 sections of our library.

Part of every year is relearning the sections of our library, and I like to review this by having students make a map.  I post a template of the library with a basic outline. We have 3 collaborative group rooms and I make boxes for those, along with a door and a couple shelf boxes.

This year, I also added a Google Doc with a table of all our sections. We have 9, and I realized I needed to list them out for our students to be successful. Then I let them take a look at the library, they look at signage, shelves, call numbers and decide what belongs where. They will work on these and as they start labeling, I point out details like all the step up chapter books could be labeled with a color (because their call numbers are labeled with yellow labels), then graphic novels are labeled with which color?

This helps them organize the library in their mind in ways that make sense. Plus it helps all of us learn where things are! (...and usually find a few new books to check out!)
We s
pent one library session of really exploring the library, looking at signs, copying and pasting *gasp* from the sections doc, and then labelling their map. 

When they said they were finished, I asked them to *use*
their map. I asked them to walk around and see if the map was correct. Many found mistakes, and went back to relabel and add more details. Scroll down to see some finished maps!








Thanks for reading! Please share how you used this map activity in the comments or by email! I would love to hear how it's going and would love to hear your wonderful ideas also! Thank you for your support!

Keep reading!
Mrs. Thakkar

School Librarian
mrsthakkar2014@gmail.com
Downers Grove, IL
@mrsthakkar
#ACSLibraryDG
#MakeItHappenACS

4 comments:

  1. I did something similar a number of years ago for 5th grade orientation, but gave them blank maps and titles and they filled in maps with given titles. You're method calls for more on the part of the student with regard to spatial skills and creativity! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It’s been really fun to see what they come up with!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! We have a brand new library and the kids are struggling to figure it out. This is a creative techie way for them to get the new layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! The best part has been using their real maps for people that come to visit! I have one I put up for visits with a citation on the bottom with the student who made it. The kid loved it! And so did the visitors 😍

      Delete